“Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” -Albert Camus

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Love the bag, Love the shoes, Love everything, LOVE YOU: The tale of the “so close” soulmate…


Let me frame it this way. Of all the men I have genuinely loved, there are only two I no longer speak to. With the exception of the two I am no longer in contact with, the others have remained among my dearest and most cherished friends.
Yes, I am that girl. I have followed the course of every romcom plotline and CW television show and have fallen for several of my best friends on multiple occasions. Unfortunately for me, my life was not scripted by Mark Schwann. Producers were not merely dragging out the tension for ten seasons in order to keep the ratings up. There have been no series finales where all the loose ends have been serendipitously tied up. There have been no scenes where I have frantically tried to get off a plane in order to meet the man who has also experienced a magical revelation and is waiting for me in the airport terminal. If my personal plotlines of falling for the best friend were a movie, audiences would be far from satisfied with the conclusion.  I assume they would feel something akin to how they felt at the conclusion of “The Breakup” or “500 days of Summer.” Regardless of their poor box office potential, some of these experiences are among my favorite love stories. Though they have not ended in a romantic wonderment, a couple of them have taught me invaluable and beautiful lessons about forgiveness and unconditional love in its purest form. You know the scene at the end of “My Best Friend’s Wedding,” where George shows up at the end of the reception to dance with Julianne?  If you’re not familiar with the scene all you need to know is in that scene he meets her in the middle of the floor and declares “There may not be marriage, there may not be sex, but there will be dancing!” I am fortunate enough to have a best friend in my life who always shows up on the dance floor. He rivals Britney and Beyonce not only in moves but especially in friendship (which I guess is not the fairest comparison as neither Britney or Beyonce have invested much into our friendship as of late…)
As I was recovering from my first surgery (around the same time that everything fell through with “the perfect date,” refer to Lightning and Lotteries if you missed the scoop on him) I grew very close to my favorite dance floor companion, who I will refer to as the “so close soulmate.” We had become friends at school earlier in the year. He was in my art history and religion classes. He was the most eccentric, compulsive, hilarious, and brilliant human I had ever observed. As a result of watching him in an impassioned meltdown after having read Clement Greenberg’s Avant Garde and Kitsch, I became instantly intrigued by him. My “so close soulmate” was a fierce defender of beautiful things. Placing the perfect adornment to a kitchen or painting a picturesque landscape were thing he considered valid and lovely. He did not accept them to be “kitschy.” I, on the other hand, made loud conceptual pieces with poor execution and shoddy craftsmanship. As artists we couldn’t have been more different, but as creators I think our hearts were the same. My “so close soulmate” was one of the few people who genuinely understood the value of constant construction, the need to use your hands, and the life saving merits of creating. He accepted me fully, minus a few edits he made to my closet and wardrobe… In the beginning years our narratives were somewhat the same. We both intended to be doctors, just like our dads were. We both strived for perfection, because we were asked to do so. And in our own ways we both grappled to navigate whether we would become the version of ourselves that we intended, or others intended, or God intended. We laughed together more than any two people have ever laughed. We would have made phenomenal cohosts of a talk show. Seriously, Ellen and Oprah wouldn’t have known what had hit em. It is a rare thing to find someone who genuinely understands Michael Jackson levels of insomnia in the same way as you, so the day my “so close soulmate” told me he envisioned us married but could not date me was both perplexing and heartbreaking. I knew on some level why, but it was years before I knew for sure.
After he told me we couldn’t be together our friendship hit a tumultuous year. We would go through months of not speaking, reconnect, have explosive fights and then not speak again. Time progressed and eventually we were able to maintain a steady friendship.
When I informed my “so close soulmate” that I had been re-diagnosed with cancer, he was there. He brought me beautiful gifts (many inspired by Marie Antoinette…) and would sit and laugh with me every single day. Though all of my friends were incredibly supportive, it was difficult for many of them to know how to be present during that time. My “so close soulmate” was always present, we got through it together. 
We continued to grow up together and become truer versions of ourselves. He ditched his doctor ambitions to pursue a career in fashion and I ditched mine to become an art therapist.
It took a couple more years before my “so close soulmate” was able to explain why his only contribution to my wedding would be making my dress (and perhaps the bridesmaids dresses, and the cake and the flowers...) In that moment I was able to sit with him just as he had sat with me, and I was grateful for our every catastrophe. I was grateful he had taught me all the things a soulmate can be and all the ways they can manifest themselves in our lives. I was grateful he had taught me that life doesn’t always conclude the same way as CW television series do. Most of all, I was grateful to know I had a best friend who would always meet me in the middle of the dance floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment