“Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” -Albert Camus

Monday, November 10, 2014

Top 10 most Codependent Love Songs of the past 20 years

With some embarrassment, I must admit I went through a bit of a Bieber phase. On one occasion, I  absentmindedly failed to cover my tracks and left a cd in my mother's car. A couple days later she made the comment that she had listened to the album all the way through and had concluded popular music while undeniably catchy (she too had become a belieber in a mere 48 hours) was likewise incredibly codependent. Since this point I have listened carefully for codependency. Though we often give chick-flicks and the CW television network the brunt of our aggression for coloring our view of what love should look like, it has come to my attention that the songs crowding every airwave from the time I was little needs to shoulder a bit more of the blame.
Codependency is not love.
This seems an impossible truth for many of us to grasp, so might I present my guide to the top 10 most codependent love songs of the past 20 years.

Let me preface this by saying, I quite enjoy many of these songs, tremendously! Which may be a problem beyond my One Tree Hill addiction...

1. "How do I live without you?" By Leann Rimes

“How do I live without you?
I want to know, How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go, How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?”

Apparently Leann figured out how to live without her 14 year old boyfriend. Also, perhaps Leann's life support view of love was not particularly conducive to her relationships later in life… She is now more notorious for her infidelity than her bangs or insane talent…

2. "As long as you love me" By the Backstreet Boys

“I don't care who you are,Where you're from
What you did, As long as you love me”

Actually, background checks are imperative in contemporary courtship…


3. "As long as you love me" by Justin Bieber

“As you love me we could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke”

Hate to break it to you Justin, but financial stress is the primary cause of divorce nowadays…

4. " I love you always forever" by Donna Lewis


“I love you always forever, Near and far, closer together
Everywhere I will be with you, Everything I will do for you
I love you always forever”

Stalking is about as cute as the crop top Donna is sporting throughout the video. Offering to do everything for someone is as unsettling as early nineties music videos.

5. "Call me maybe" By Carly Rae Jepson

“I'd trade my soul for a wish, Pennies and dimes for a kiss”

It is indeed crazy Carly. Make good investments and keep your soul. 

6. "Always be my baby" by Mariah Carey

“You'll always be a part of me, I'm part of you indefinitely
Boy don't you know you can't escape me, Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby
And we'll linger on, Time can't erase a feeling this strong, No way you're never gonna shake me”

Watch out Nick Cannon…

7. "She will be loved" by Maroon Five

“I don't mind spending every day, Out on your corner in the pouring rain”

Code for: I currently am unemployed…

8. "I have nothing" by Whitney Houston

“Stay in my arms if you dare, Or must I imagine you there
Don't walk away from me… I have nothing, nothing, nothing
If I don't have you”

Appropriate words for Kevin Costner? Maybe… Bobby Brown? …

9. "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown

“But how do you expect me, to live alone with just me
'Cause my world revolves around you, It's so hard for me to breathe
 Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air, Can't live, can't breathe with no air”




Attention ladies, Chris Brown is not a viable source of oxygen…

10. " Unconditionally" by Katy Perry

“Unconditional, unconditionally, I will love you unconditionally
There is no fear now, Let go and just be free, I will love you unconditionally”

While this concept is good in theory, one must always have conditions when it comes to Russel Brand, or John Mayer…












No comments:

Post a Comment