“Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” -Albert Camus

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Videogames: Ms. Havisham and Lana meet at last…


This weekend I saw Ms. Havisham go up in flames. To preface this, let me be completely forthcoming and admit I have never read Great Expectations. For never having actually read the book, I spend a lot of time thinking about it… In fact Ms. Havisham has become one of my favorite daily metaphors and anecdotes. If I am having a particularly bad hair day encumbered with frizz I call it a Havisham day. If I am feeling belittled, slighted or patronized by a man, I am quick to inform him I am not Ms. Havisham… though usually the men who make me feel this way don’t have the foggiest clue who she is anyway… The other reason I believe I became so enamored with a book I hadn’t read was due to its remarkable title. I love book titles. My ambition has never been to write a New York Times bestselling novel but merely to author the titles for several of them. I used to keep a list of ideas for book titles and would add to it constantly. Call me blasphemous, but in some ways I quite enjoy books that can be understood and even explicated solely from their titles…It is much easier to place all your assumptions and narrative onto a cover page.
As a general rule, I am wary of dating a man who hasn’t read Great Expectations (or at least the 10 books listed above and below it on a recommended reading list) I know this is a hypocritical and strangely arbitrary expectation seeing as I have never read the book myself and have likely read more Cliffs notes than actual classics. Regardless of its absurdity, it is a deal breaker. In my mind the desire for a significant other to have read a book is far more attainable than other “expectations” that often prevail in relationships. I am not sure how many of the men I have loved have actually read Great Expectations. I can assuredly tell you I have never loved a man who wasn’t brilliant, intense, or passionate, or even sometimes the terrifying mix of all three. I am intense. I like intense. The idea of being with someone who can fall asleep within five minutes of their head hitting the pillow terrifies me. For better or worse I find myself constantly drawn to the ones who analyze and analyze and then analyze again…
After completing cancer treatment and returning home from Texas, I was tired of myself. I didn’t want to analyze. I didn’t want to be intense. I didn’t want to dwell on or make sense of the past six months of my experience. I was too tired to think about the person I was actually in love with. I had exhausted myself thinking about him and our future and what my future would look like. Being in love when you’re 20 and battling cancer is akin to living in a rom-com on steroids during the most tenuous scenes. Though I was declared in remission by the time I returned home, I was emotionally spent. I wanted froth! I wanted my life to be a guilty pleasure. I wanted my days to play out as though they were US magazine in live and living color. The day after I got back from Texas I did something to even surprise myself. I had a lot of odds and ends to catch up on including taking my car to the shop for a tuneup. That day, I chose to call the most peculiar of choices to pick me up from the autoshop. I called a boy I barely knew. We had mutual friends but shared nothing beyond them. In high school I considered him to be one of the rudest, most obnoxious and immature fellows I had ever encountered. The feeling was mutual. He was far from fond of me. I can’t explain what prompted me to call him on this particular afternoon but I was surprised by how easily I could talk to him. We spent hours in my driveway just talking. Initially we expressed our assumptions of and even disdain for the other but gradually moved into an intrigue and curiosity. We both knew from the first afternoon we spent together there were lessons to learn from the other. We spent every single day of this particular summer together. We drove aimlessly in his red truck, listened to an inordinate amount of Counting Crows, and did absurd childlike things. We played miniature golf, ate at questionable Chinese buffets, staged swordfights and saw ridiculous animated movies. In some respects I got to be the easiest version of myself with him. It wasn’t intense, I wasn’t intense (even though he would often tell me I was) I didn’t spend every minute thinking about life and death and purpose. I didn’t overthink the future. I didn’t place all my hopes or vision for a future on him. He was insightful in the fact that he pointed out the moments and ways I took myself too seriously. It was nice not to be serious.
Around mid summer he informed me he wanted to go on a break. I was floored. He explained I had become like a brand new videogame played too intensely, for too long, for too many days. I had never played videogames. Sans my brother, my house had been a complete estrogen fest. We owned one Nintendo game console from 95-96 that was seldom played. I couldn’t make sense of how our relationship was comparable to videogames. I have never been keen on playing games or existing “virtually.” As much as I had wanted to move past the previous few months of facing my mortality and constantly reflecting on the sanctity of life, I couldn’t in this moment. Being alive and breathing, engaging and sharing, listening and pondering were beyond what could ever be “virtually” understood. I was nobody’s videogame.
Despite what may go down as one of the most surreal and bizarre conversations I have ever had with a man, we moved beyond it and became great friends for years to come. He continued to serve as my escape valve and I became his depth. We argued constantly. Our visions for the world were never congruent. He could never understand why I was such a “feminist” and would expend all my energy on getting into graduate school rather than trying to land myself a fella. I could never understand why he expended all his energy on nineteen-year-old girls and gun rights.
Somehow we still respected and learned from each other.
Over time I recognized, as much as I sometimes wanted to, I could never be the “easiest” version of myself. I also came to realize he had no desire to be the “hardest” version of himself. I couldn’t do simple and he couldn’t do complicated. The friendship unraveled rapidly and painfully. The discussion that initiated the unraveling had to do with Great Expectations. I tried to explain to him I was not Ms. Havisham. Unfortunately, he understood Ms. Havisham about as well as I understood videogames. He continued to refer to the book as “Big Hopes.” I knew in that very conversation my vacation from “Lindsay-dom intensity” was over.
Though it was often times dysfunctional and quirky, I still miss him and the friendship. It taught me a lot of things, especially about Ms. Havisham. I have no desire to be swindled from a fortune, sitting in the dark in a wedding dress. I believe in fighting for light, for living in illuminated painful intensity. I know my life was not preserved to live “virtually.” My presence has been requested and it will be granted. I watched Ms. Havisham go up in flames this weekend, but I won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment